Wednesday, August 22, 2007

My house, it smells of vinegar. Odd yes, but strangely comforting. My dd's boyfriend is canning. Pickles, green beans, tomatoes....all from their organic garden. This is the smell of my house when my mother was alive. All thats missing is a fan blowing outwards in the window....but its not-so-hot right now.
Not only did my mother can, she froze veggies, sewed, crocheted, quilted, cooked, baked cookies......the list goes on and on. But the stories are getting lost. Lost in long ago memories, lost with the deceased, lost in time and sadness. Evidently our pediatrician would take payment in the form of home- canned sour cherries, and he liked to spit the pits as far as he could. But it's all a world apart from life now. Life A.D. perhaps?

1 comment:

WendyMom said...

Hum, a pediatrician who "spits the pits as far as he could"... kinda scary! Hopefully, he wasn't trying to gain more business for himself -- think hits to the EYE!

So, the memories are getting lost? Start TODAY, blogging them. Your mom was a great lady, and you would take a lot of comfort from those remembrances...I know you would!

I love you my friend.......